- This event has passed.
Solo & Ensemble 2018
February 24, 2018
Big Hollow MS
26051 W. Nippersink Rd.
On February 24, 2018, all 7th & 8th grade students and some 6th graders, will participate in Solo & Ensemble contest as part of the orchestra learning experience. Students may perform a solo if taking private lessons, or perform as part of a small ensemble, typically consisting of 2 to 5 performers. Students perform for a judge and receive scores in a number of categories: Intonation, Tone Production, Phrasing, Note/Pitch Accuracy, Articulation, Dynamics, Balance/Blend, and Stage Presence. Medals, including the coveted perfect score pin, will be awarded to those performers who receive high scores.
Cost is $7 per event per performer. For example, if you are performing a solo and one ensemble, your cost will be $14.
For soloists, piano accompanists typically charge around $25 for typical pieces performed. If your piece is challenging and requires extra time for the accompanist, they may (rightfully so) charge more.
Day of Contest
- Performance Schedule & Room Assignments
- Plan on arriving 30-60 minutes prior to your performance time.
- Parking may be scarce. Parents may have to drop off students and then go find parking.
- When you arrive, report to the Small Gym (String Warm-Up Room) to check in with me (or Mr. Stenzel or Mrs. Reitsma). We will help you tune and give your parent the original music for the judge.
- Information Packet (from Big Hollow MS)
- please download and read (parking, school maps, directions, concessions, etc.)
- More General Information on Contest
- static information that does not change from year to year
Clothing for the day should be dressy. No jeans, sweats, or leggings. Dress/skirts, ties, etc. is appropriate.
Rules, Conduct, & Policies
- Official NIMCon Rules Governing Solo & Ensemble Contest
- Each student should have an original copy of the music for the judge. These originals should have measures numbered in pencil. There will not be a photocopy machine available on the day of contest
Please remind students of proper conduct and behavior. Students should respect the host building, contest signs, and all content within the school. It is also important that students remain quiet in the hallways outside of performance areas. Instruments should only be played in warm-up and performance rooms. A parent or adult should be with students at all times. All rules and regulations will follow in accordance with the Northern Illinois Music Conference Constitution and By-Laws.