- Perform with understanding to convey the composer’s intent.
- Students are performing artists.
- What directions did the composer give me to perform this piece?
- How do I perform these instructions effectively?
- How do I create an artistic and memorable performance?
- How can we have fun in orchestra but still get the hard work done?
- How can we become independent musicians?
Students will know and be able to…
- …convey the composer’s intent.
- …create memorable performances that engage the audience (live or recorded).
- …evaluate, diagnose, and fix own and others’ problems.
- …connect musical elements to history, culture, language, other arts, mathematics, science, etc.
- …delve into the music, and experience that gives escape and enjoyment.
- Performances and Contests.
- Informal assessment in weekly sectionals and daily rehearsals.
- Formal performance assessments every quarter (online and in sectionals).
- Utilize the Top-In-Out Strategy in self-assessment.
- Written reflections (quarterly and/or after significant events).